Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Book Reviews (2)

I just reformatted my laptop and I'm currently downloading Adobe Reader. Quite surprised that the file size is 60+MB!! So while waiting, I have some spare time to kill and so, I will fulfill the promise I made awhile back. Not a real promise, but rather something that I said I would do.




The review of ERAGON!

Anyway, I'm done reading ELDEST. So I'll review it as well.

Eragon (7/10)
Eldest (8.5/10)

I enjoyed reading Eragon, but throughout Eragon's journey through Alagaesia, I kept questioning the author's credibility. Maybe I knew that this was Paulini's first book and had some prejudices since I knew he wrote this book when he was still a teenager. Or maybe the plot was too contrived. The entire plot seemed to be a sequence of events that the author wanted to happen, and he made Eragon do it as if he had no other choice, no matter how rediculous the plot actually was. Nevertheless, Eragon was fun to read and good enough that I continued on reading Eldest.

I quite enjoyed reading Eldest and found it to be much better written than Eragon. I really enjoyed the magic system in this book and Eragon's relationship with his dragon Saphira. I found most of the characters interesting and likeable although there were too many random villagers whose names I just skipped and didn't really want to get to know. The author's writing has matured althouth there are still some major flaws in the plot and the twists are quite predictable. I found the character Eragon to be quite realistic in the sense that he isn't perfect at all, but this makes him a little bit annoying especially with his self-righteous and better-than-you attitude. Also the author has a tendency to simply kill off important people just to move the plot. I don't mind the fact that a King can die too, but DO IT WITH STYLE. And don't do it so obviously and casually just so you can have something to write about.





I'm going to rant below, SPOILER ALERT.




*
**
***
**
***
**
*
**
***
****
**
***
*
*Spoiler alert*

GRRRRrr. Anyone reading would know that Murtagh DIDN'T DIE in the first chapter. How the F*ck could Eragon believe it when there was no body and all he saw was "black" when he scryed! Grrr. What a noob you are Eragon... K, that's my number 1 complaint. My second complaint is after the battle which lasted a single day, the empire still had a huge army right? Why would they be "routed" after losing a minor skirmish? All the mobilization and you would expect a 100 year war but it is over in 1 day.

No comments: