Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Book Reviews (1)

Here are some books that I have read in the past year or so. I've never wrote a book review before and damnnnn it's hard to write a book review, especially since it's been awhile since I've read these books. The last book I've read, Eragon, will be in a separate post.
*
*
*
*
*
*
The Hunger Games Trilogy (Suzanne Collins):
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
MockingJay
*
Rating: 10/10 <- Must read
*
I couldn't write something that describes how good these books are. Definitely among the best books that I've ever read.
*****
****
***
**
*
The Wicked Times (Gregory Maguire):
Wicked: The life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the west
Son of a Witch
A lion among men
*
Rating: 9.5/10 <- Must read
*
Sometimes, Wicked is hard to understand, and sometimes even boring. But even that cannot diminish the greatness of this book. Wicked is an alternate version to "The Wizard of Oz". The awesomeness of this book comes from it's characters, mainly the "wicked" witch of the west, Elphie. She isn't the evil witch that she is portrayed in "The Wizard of Oz" at all. I've always had a thing for "villains", and this was the other side of her story. It was interesting to meet the many characters in this book, such as the "Goodie Two Shoe" Dorothy. In Wicked, she was a real person (although slightly dumb), not the self-righteous bastard that killed the witch in the Wizard of Oz. I had a great time reading Wicked and couldn't get enough. The sequel, son of a Witch is a fitting continuation to the story but I found A Lion Among Men to be slightly below par.
*****
****
***
**
*
Incarceron (Catherine Fisher)
Saphique (Catherine Fisher)
Fantastic concept
*
Rating: 8/10
*
A great adventure. Unique setting and plot.
*****
****
***
**
*
Bartimaeus Trilogy: The amulet of Samarkand (Jonathan Stroud)
*
Rating 7/10
*
A fun read although boring at times and very long winded. Great concept and plot.
*****
****
***
**
*

My sister's keeper (Judy Picoult)
*
Rating: 8/10
*
This story is told from the first person's point of view, from multiple perspectives. Great characterization and plot. However, be warned that the ending was so bad and unbelievable that it ruined an otherwise awesome book.
*****
****
***
**
*
The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
Rating: 0/10 <-Complete waste of time
*
I couldn't finish this book. I wasted my time ploughing through half-way hoping that it would pick up, but it never did.
*****
****
***
**
*

Tuesday's with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
*
Rating: 5/10
*
People say that this book is inspiring etc etc etc. For all the hype surrounding this book, I was ultimately let down. Do read it if you are free. Or..you could find a better book.
*****
****
***
**
*

The Spirit Thief (Rachel Aaron)
*
Rating: 6/10
*
Quite entertaining and fun to read but nothing more.
*****
****
***
**
*

Demonwar Saga (Raymond E. Feist)
*
Rating: 8/10
*
I grew up reading Raymond E. Feist. For a long time, he was my only source of fantasy. I have almost a complete collection of his earlier works in paperback. I loved the world of Midkemia, and most ESPECIALLY Kelewan. I loved all his characters. In the Demonwar Saga, REF really REALLY ruined it for me. Let's say it ended with a REALLY big bang. For what it's worth, it was awesomely written though. Anyway, the Demonwar saga is quite different from the other REF books, especially the setting. Definitely worth a read if you are a REF fan. If you're not yet a fan, start with his earlier books (Riftwar Trilogy and Empire Trilogy) and you'll love him.
*****
****
***
**
*

Darkwar Saga (Raymond E. Feist)
*
Rating: 8/10
*
In this saga, he killed my favourite character.
*****
****
***
**
*
In Progress:
Eldest (Christopher Paolini)
East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
Bartimaeus Trilogy: The Golem's eye (Jonathan Stroud)

No comments: